Several people have already mentioned the pre-Christmas release of WebSphere Process Server, WebSphere ESB and WebSphere Integration Developer 6.0.2.
There was another 6.0.2 release at the same time, too – the latest version of the WebSphere Message Broker toolkit (NB the runtime is currently at 188.8.131.52, which was released a while back). I installed it via the Rational Product Updater.
I hope to add some thoughts on why you should care about the 6.0.2 toolkit release to the SOA Tips’n’Tricks blog over the coming weeks, so make sure that you’re subscribed to the feed – and check out my recent post about Java 5 in WMB v6 🙂
One of my diversions today has been investigating the use of libsecondlife. I’ve got quite a specific use case in mind at the moment – automation of some administrative tasks for a project I’m involved with – but it was interesting to dig around in the code in general.
First of all I have to say that the project website is kind of short on help for beginners… there is no obvious starting point, and little or no documentation on the API. I downloaded the latest build, which gave me some interesting GUI and command-line demos to play with that enable you to look at group memberships and so forth. In order to really get to grips with it, I had to take the source out of SVN and look through the C# code – reading the comments and code is far better than playing around with binaries that don’t do what you want in the first place.
If you are coming at libSL new, it may be useful to know that if you have SharpDevelop, the whole of the source tree can be opened very easily as a single solution, and I had no problems building some of the examples. I did have some issues trying to run them, though… but maybe I’m just driving them wrong. So far, I’m still at a bit of a loss as to exactly how it all hangs together – but some of the examples look very useful.
Via the forums, I did discover that there’s also a Java implementation. I think I’ll take a look at that too…
Several people have started to comment on the Christmas goodies they received, and at least one person has asked me directly… so, among other things:
- some CDs, which I’ve not had a chance to listen to yet (owing to our current lack of CD player / stereo) – Oasis, Queensryche, Ben Folds.
- some DVDs – Pirates 2, Ice Age 2.
- a great book – What No One Ever Tells You About Blogging and Podcasting (I will blog more on this soon) .
- a fantastic box to store photos / camera equipment.
- money and vouchers, which will go towards something camera-related. I can’t decide between a 430EX flash, a Lensbaby 2.0, or some other lens (and then I have to decide on something wide, telephoto, macro, or covering an existing range but at a higher quality than the 18-55mm kit lens; and Canon vs. Sigma/Tamron – gaaah – it’s all too hard!).
I also came home with some rather nice “vintage” camera equipment, which will also have to wait for another post.
Back at work. More (on all kinds of topics) soon.